Things to consider before building your mining rig.
- Cost of Entry : A six card Mining Rig built with RX570 ($250~$300 each) and Power Supply ($400) and other parts will cost around $2500~5000.
- Return on investment : depending on the cost of the parts you get and electric cost to maintain your rig you can see an average of 4~5 months if the crpytocurrency stays at the same profitability, if the coin you are mining goes down in value this can be pushed back several months or you may never get your ROI.
- Technical knowledge : having a little bit of background in building a computer would help greatly in building a mining rig, to verify what parts are compatible and how to troubleshoot any issues that occur.
- Risk : Building a mining rig is not a get rich quick scheme. We invest in hardware (GPU, PSU, MOBO, RAM, SSD) instead of buying the cryptocurrency directly to avoid a bigger loss if the crpytocurrency space looses its value overnight. Other risks would be the hardware breaking down due to the 24/7 mining and even in the rare cases a fire can cause us to loose everything.
- Space and Ventilation : do you have a place big enough to place your mining rig(s) and allow you to control the temperature (Mining rigs produce a lot of heat)
Things you will need before getting started.
- Room : make sure you have enough space to put your mining with enough airflow for regulating the GPUs temperatures.
- Electricity : if you are mining in an apartment you have limited options on how mining rigs you can have pulling 800~1300 Watts per rig or house that allows you to upgrade electrical options.
- Wallet for the cryptocurrency you will be mining : depending on what cryptocurrency you will mine you will need to download a compatible wallet to deposit your cryptocurrency coins.
What kind of mining rig should you build?
- Fastest ROI : If you are looking to get the fastest ROI you will need to spend a lot of time getting the Hardware near the MSRP. At the moment (2/3/2018) GPUs are extremely overpriced selling for 2x to 3x the MSRP. getting a GPU at these prices could still be profitable but only after 2x or 3x the time.
- Best performance : the best performance could depend on what coin you will choose to mine
- AMD : Daggerhashimoto algorithm Ethereum(ETH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), Pirl (PIRL), Ubiq (EBQ), Musicoin (MUSIC), Expanse(EXP).
- NVIDIA : Equihash algorithm Zcash(ZEC), Zcash Classic(ZCL), Hush(HUSH), BitcoinZ(BTCZ), Bitcoin Gold(BTG), Zencash(ZEN), Komodo(KMD).
- VEGA series : Cryptonight algorithm Monero(XMR), Sumokoin(SUMO), Bytecoin (BCN), Digitalnote(XDN), Intensecoin(ITNS), Electroneum(ETN).
- 3, 6 or more GPU mining rig : Trio miner made popular by Voskcoin, or you can use a open air mining rig case for a 6 card or more rig.